Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Running Start

Monday January 31st was our first official training day for the St. Patty's day 5k. The Target that Andrew works at decided to organize a training program called Couch-to-5k, a program designed to help beginner's get started and slowly build up to being able to run a 5k with in 6 weeks. I'd have to say that my first night with this group was a total disappointment. start times were posted at 6pm although when Andew called to confirm we were told we were meeting at 5pm. So we ate dinner really early and showed up slightly after 5. We figured it was early because it was the first day and they wanted to do introductions and maybe explain to people what was going to happen over the course of the next few weeks.
Upon our arrival we didn't initially see any one that would be running with us. after a few minutes we happened to run into 2 other girls that were there to run. 1 was an avid runner and the other was one of the group leaders. They greeted Andrew briefly and headed out side to get started. I had to quickly put on the girls hat and gloves (we were pushing them in the stroller) and head out to meet them. As soon as we got out side they started running. Um Hello? So we went along with it and were informed throughout that they just decided to run until they got tired then walk for a bit and just do that until they decided to quit. OK.... so.... We decided to bring the girls in the stroller because a general 5k training program has very little running the first day and we figured it wouldn't be bad to push it around. Well running the entire time with a 40lb child and  a 26lb child in the stroller is not the easiest thing to do. On top of that being out of shape didn't help. I'm not necessarily complaining but come on guys lets pick a plan stick to it and maybe communicate?
I'm still contemplating continuing to go to these "training" meets. perhaps a different day with a different group of people would suite me better. Or perhaps I will run on my own. I decided to download an app on my phone to track my distance, hoping it will turn into a great tool to track progress.
Regardless of the path I chose there is one thing that remains I need to loose this weight and have currently hit a tiny bump. Although I'm on week three and down 11.5 lbs I still have not lost anything in the past 6 days. Time to up the work outs and get moving.
I can say that I'm doing very well on my current diet though no simple carbs and limited caloric intake seems to be going well. although with this new workout regime I think I need to up my calories or Ill be stuck again. Wish me luck and from this point on I should be able to start including distance ran in my posts!

No comments: