Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Let's Get Cookin!

Although I LOVE warm weather one of my favorite things to do is bake. I love being in the kitchen creating new yummy things for freinds and family. I have recently become addicted to a new blog crockpot365@blogspot.com. I stole my first recipe from there last night. Crockpot lasagna! it was so yummy! I do have to toot my own horn and say that my regular lasagna is really really good, but I thought why not try transfering that from the oven to the crockpot and see how it goes. Especially since my oven has been on the fritz lately.
It was really easy especially since I have stopped adding meat to my lasagna, (saves money and fat) the recipe as I translated it is:
About a hlaf a box of regular old lasagna noodles (dont use no boil they will just dissolve)
a few large handfuls of spinach
3 large carrots
Large can crushed tomatoes
2 teaspoons brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
2 table spoons dried basil (if you have fresh even better)
Cream Cheese
Sour Cream
milk
Parmesan Cheese
Italian Cheese blend
Olive oil
(I like to add more vegtables but this is what I had in the house its also good with mushrooms, zucchini, and peppers)
My sauce prep work:
I steamed my carrots untill soft and mushy then mushed them up and added a large can of crushed tomatoes, basil, brown sugar, salt and pepper. done!
cheese sauce ( I really dislike ricotta cheese so this is what I use)
8 oz lowfat cream cheese 1 table spoon sour cream and 1/4 c milk, and about 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.. mix mix mix till mostly smooth

To assemble:
I drizzled some olive oil on the bottom
put a dollup of red sauce down
layered noodles (you have to break them up a bit to get them to fit into the oval shape)
spoon some red sauce on top of noodles
spoon some cheese sauce on top
large handful of spinach then drizzle with olive oil
repeat till you fill it up or run out of ingredience. I like to make sure I end with alittle bit of red sauce to top the noodles with keeps it from drying out a bit
dump on a 1/3c water
set your crockpot on high and cook for 4 hours
with 1 hour left I topped it with the italian cheese blend.
supper yummy!

What's next?
-Pumpkin Spice Latte
Pumpkin Bars mmmmmmm

No comments: